Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Why?

Why oh why is it so hard for me to stick with an exercise plan? As I near 40, I realize the urgency for me to get this old body in shape. I want to create routines that keep me healthy and fit as I get older. I've never struggled with my weight until the past few years when my slowing metabolism really started to take its toll. It's time to get moving!

So what to do? I surely don't need any more exercise equipment to add to the already growing graveyard of fitness gear in my garage. I need something simple. Something that only requires me to strap on my Nikes and my iPod. RUNNING! I love the idea of running. My Dad and stepmom are runners and my 10 year old son is becoming quite the runner too. I love the atmosphere at races ... great people gathering together to stay healthy and fit and to support local community organizations . I can do that! Right?

To facilitate my entry into the running world, I settled on the Couch to 5K running plan. You can check out this training program at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Can't be too hard if they start at the couch! I like to think I'm a step ahead of a couch potato. I'm not a complete slug! So rather than go through the trouble of trying to time myself in interval training, I downloaded Robert Ullrey's fabulous podcast from iTunes. He mixes just the right amount of encouraging comments with techno dance music to keep you moving. And it's so easy to just listen and follow along to what he tells you to do. Well, the listening part is easy anyway! LOL You can check out Robert's website at http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

So this blog will chronicle my experience with the Couch to 5K running program, and I hope will help motivate me to keep going!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Go Karen, you can do it!!!

Karen said...

Thanks Katie!!