Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Week One

I'm starting this blog one week into my training. I've already completed Week One! It feels really good to say that. Week One consisted of a 5 minute warm up walk, 8 intervals of 60 second run/90 sec brisk walk, and a 5 minute cool down walk. At least I think it was 8 intervals? The beauty of Robert's podcast is that you don't have to count or keep track of anything! He tells you when to run and when to walk and my favorite part, when you're almost done. Day One was exciting. I had been anticipating it for weeks. I couldn't get started until my boys went back to school. With my hubby away all summer in Vietnam, I just didn't have ANY alone time to start my new exercise routine. With school back in session, I have the freedom to run in the mornings now. I was pumped to get out there that first day. Boy was I rusty! I thought it would be easy, but I struggled a little with day one. Didn't help that Fort Weaver Road is being torn apart by construction and doesn't provide a very nice atmosphere for running. But it was easier just to start out from home on that day. I felt great when I finished!

Day Two of Week One was fabulous! I decided to fit in a run before work at the Iroquois Point Cooperative Preschool. The Iroquois Point Island Club (recently renamed The Waterfront at Pu'uloa) has a fabulous lagoon with a flat running path (my favorite kind) going around it. It was a beautiful morning, in a gorgeous setting, and my run went really smoothly. I'll post pics later this week of this great location for my run. In the meantime, you can check out the location at http://iroquoispointislandclub.com/ How can you not be motivated when you get to run with that scenery!

Day Three didn't go as easily. I didn't have time before work, so I fit it in after work and before I picked the boys up at school. That meant that I had to run at 12:45pm. Noontime sun! ACK! This Yankee girl is not meant to weather that kind of heat. I did OK with the run, but I was totally overheating and getting a little dizzy by the end. I can't run in the middle of the day anymore. I can't handle it! But I was really proud of myself that I didn't make excuses and completed Week One on schedule.

No comments: