Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Week Three - Day Two

Today, Chad was supposed to bring me to Hickam AFB to run on the path that follows the harbor. Apparently, there is a good 2 mile loop there. I was really looking foward to that, but when he got up this morning he had a bad sinus headache. So, we ditched those plans and I just ran after I brought the boys to school. The block in front of the boys' school is simple and flat, but it's getting kind of boring. I definately have to change it up for my third run this week. Today's training went well. This week has gone really smoothly.

After visiting the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet (which provided me with lots of extra exercise as we walked the entire perimeter), Chad and I headed to the Navy Exchange. My intent was to find a replacement pair of running shoes. Should have been an easy task. I mean it's shopping after all! And I'm a GREAT shopper! The Navy Exchange has the running shoes seperated for normal feet and for feet that have high arches. I think I have a high arch and my feet have always been very narrow. My mother used to shop at expensive shoe stores for me when I was a kid, because the stuff in regular stores was way to wide. Anyhow, since having children I've gone up a half size and my feet are wider. Chad says it's because I've lived in Hawaii too long and never wear real shoes (therefore my feet have flattened out!) LOL If you live here, then you probably know that there may just be some truth to that! Anyway, that just made my shopping even harder. I don't know if I need extra cushioning for my arch or not. I tried on Saucony, Asics, Etonics, Nike, and New Balance in several different styles. I liked one pair of New Balance, but they were a little wide. The Saucony didn't feel too bad. The Nikes I run in now is the Air Pegasus and of course they didn't have my size. The Asics didn't fit me at all and the Etonics arch support seemed to press in the wrong place. I just got super frustrated and did not feel comfortable buying any of them. That's too much money to waste on a wrong choice! So I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a proper fitting at the Running Room or Runner's HI.

3 comments:

Z_A said...

Hi Karen, Love your blog. I too need to get back into running to get my pre pregnancy figure back (and also get into better shape cardio wise). We miss Hawaii. Hope all is well. Laura G

Unknown said...

If it was me...I would have ditched the running idea after the Hickam plans fell through! I REALLY need to get back into some sort of routine. This move has killed my energy level.

Also I LOL when I read about the flat feet from Hawaii. I think that is true :P

And Gustav passed us :)

AllBlueZoo said...

Yeah Karen! Glad you are still enjoying the C25K experience! Are you guys doing the Niketown run/walk next weekend?